March 9, 2012
Week In Review 3.9.12
Greetings HIP GENIUSES everywhere! This week was we saw many interesting treats percolating on the internets so we’re here to tell you exactly what you need to check out before hitting the bars and embarrassing yourself for not knowing what’s cool in nerdville. Let us begin!
- The weather was exceptionally warm for March? Which makes us happy? But Also… kind of… scared? Maybe because THE APOCOLYPSE IS FINALLY HERE! Or rather the biggest solar storm in five years is battering our planet right now! This storm caused disruptions to satellites, power grids and communications networks for over 24 hours. I don’t know about you folks but we definitely had some email issues. Related? Maybe. Creepy and frightening all around? Yes please.
- Gilt Group offered an awesome promotion where you received different levels of discounts based on your Klout score. A few HIPsters were super excited about this being that we OBVIOUSLY have amazing Klout scores, but alas, we didn’t read the fine print! Only so many discounts were given out and we missed the chance to cash in on our 60% off. Womp womppppp.
- Kony 2012 happened. Did everyone watch, cry, pass, share and donate? Or are you maybe re-thinking the authenticity of this viral campaign after this photo of the founders of Invisible Children holding bazookas started to make the rounds? Either way this video is a great example of the true power of social media and how quickly a message can spread.
- SXSW starts this weekend! We have one HIPster in attendance, who else is going? What are you checking out? Follow @HipGenius for all the latest breaking SXSW news!
- Politics? Oh right, real world stuff. Super Tuesday happened and it appears Mitt Romney has embraced a new love of southerners. He even loves him some GRITS!
- This year marked the 15th anniversary of the death of Biggie Smalls. Are we really that old? Well if the AARP is tweeting about it, I guess it means we are!
- And last but not least, two adorable penguins got to fly in first class this week.